Job Title: Licensing Officer (Environmental Health & Community Safety)
Hours: 37 hours - The role will require some out of hours and weekend working
Hourly rate: £10.83 - £11.50 p/h dependent on experience
Start Date: As soon as possible
Assignment Length: 3 months
We are currently recruiting for an experienced Licensing Officer to work in a busy role in an Environmental Health & Community Safety team.
This team work to provide a safe and healthy environment for all those who live, work or visit the City of Exeter.
This role will cover the full range of licensing functions, including alcohol, entertainment, gambling, private hire and hackney carriages, scrap metal dealers, house to house collections, lottery and street collections.
We are seeking an enthusiastic person to assist with the day-to-day work of the Licensing Team including dealing with initial applications, preparation of licenses and permissions, provision of advice and guidance and inspection of licensed premises and vehicles.
The successful candidate will ideally have previous experience of the local authority licensing functions, particularly in respect of the Licensing Act 2003 and Gambling Act 2005.
The successful candidate will have the ability to prioritise, plan and manage their time effectively, demonstrating the ability to meet demanding deadlines. The successful candidate will also demonstrate excellent communication skills both written and orally to a range of audiences including the public. Experience in the use of Uniform software would be advantageous but not essential.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- To carry out inspections of premises and vehicles to determine suitability for the issue, transfer or renewal of the full range of licences for which the section is responsible
- To represent the Council, and where necessary give evidence at licensing appeals, committees/sub-committees, magistrates and crown courts etc
- To prepare and present reports including the collation of evidence for submission to hearings where licence applications are opposed.
- To investigate complaints and respond to enquiries, representations and statutory objections in connection with licences and registrations etc issued by the Authority
- To liaise or consult with internal and external interested parties associated with licensing and registration
- To advise businesses and residents on relevant aspects of licensing legislation and procedures
- To maintain databases and information systems relating to premises, persons or vehicles
Skills / Experience:
- Ability to compose letters and reports
- Good level of literacy and numeracy
- Strong IT skills
- Good verbal & written communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Experience of managing paperwork,
- Experience of sorting, gathering & retrieving information
- Able to be flexible and adaptable to suit the needs of the Licensing Team
- Recognised Licensing qualification
- Knowledge of the administration & enforcement of licensing legislation
- Knowledge in the preparation and presentation of legal advice
- Experience in delivering presentations
- Experience in interviewing under caution and preparing prosecution files
- Knowledge of PACE, CPIA, RIPA and other Acts association with investigations
If you would like to apply for this role, please submit your details online for consideration or email Alex.Pedrick@office-angels.com at your earliest opportunity.
Office Angels acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and an employment business for the supply of temporary workers. Office Angels UK is an Equal Opportunities Employer.
By applying for this role your details will be submitted to Office Angels. Our Candidate Privacy Information Statement explaining how we will use your information is available on our website.
Apply for Licensing Officer
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly
* This is information that gets special protection under our privacy laws. It is information about your race or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, trade union membership, health, genetic or biometric details, sex life and details of any criminal convictions or similar you may be subject to.
♦ The business of the Adecco Group UK & Ireland is transacted via a number of differently branded trading entities, as follows: Adecco UK Limited, Adia Technology Limited, Modis International Limited, Badenoch and Clark Limited, Ajilon (UK) Limited, Office Angels Limited, Penna plc, Pontoon Europe Limited, Roevin Management Services Limited, Spring Technology Staffing Services Limited.