The key responsibilities of a data scientist are to take a scientific, data driven approach to solves business challenges and discover along the way not just the answer to the original questions asked, but also what new questions might be fruitful to ask. From a practical point of view, this may involve wrangling data from different sources into shape so that mathematical, statistical and machine learning methods can be applied to address the business challenge at hand. In other words, the data scientist's primary focus will be in applying statistics and machine learning to help business stakeholders make smarter, better informed decisions. The data scientist will need to work closely with our clients to identify issues and use data and algorithms to propose solutions. Coding solutions that are replicable and clear to follow which will enhance the team's productivity and results. The data scientist should also be able to engage in business storytelling to communicate his / her ideas in a clear and engaging way to non-technical business stakeholders.
The data scientist should have significant experience in statistical analysis and machine learning and likely holds an MSc or PhD in maths, statistics, computer science or related field. We also value creativity, being able to think outside the box and the ability to understand the wider human and business context and not just the mathematics.
You will have good potential for personal and career development, learn from and share knowledge with a range of talented, highly skilled and internationally diverse team of colleagues. All of this while embarking on an exciting journey with a pioneering, fast-growing company situated at the heart of London's Tech City.
- Writing SQL queries to get the relevant data, Python or R to analyse the data pulled, Sisense to visualise data insights
- Explaining to non-technical stakeholders the outcomes of the data analysis
- Cleaning, exploring and aiding in the data analysis for ad-hoc projects.
- Analysing, summarising and drawing insights from data in order to deliver BAU reports
- Automating recurring data analysis reports
- Designing a mathematical model to solve a business question and translating it back into business language
- Any other ad hoc responsibilities that may reasonably be required
Personal Specification: Knowledge, Experience and Skills
We are looking for a candidate that has some existing experience in data science or data analytics, who has attained a postgraduate degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Physics, Economics, Chemistry, Biology or another quantitative field, or relevant industry experience.
Knowledge and experience (in order of importance)
- Relevant work experience in data science and business analytics
- Solid experience coding in Python, R or Julia
- Experience using SQL to query relational databases
- Excellent understanding of data science techniques
- Understands the theory behind different statistical and machine learning methods and understands their application
- Experience in teaching DS/Maths/Physics or other relevant academic disciplines
- Experience working with datasets that require a lot of wrangling or cleaning
- Experience working in an Agile environment (e.g.: Kanban, Scrum)
- Experience with good software engineering practice
- Experience with Cloud technologies (eg: AWS Lambda, AWS QuickSight)
- Experience with Sisense, the data visualisation software
Skills and traits (in order of importance)
- Ability to imagine useful ways of analysing data
- Imaginative in how a business challenge can be translated into a mathematical problem
- Good communication skills - including explaining data science to non-technical stakeholders
- Ability to tell a story using data and convey the main message clearly
- Ability to visualise data to communicate more effectively
- Ability to estimate amount of work needed to complete a project
- An interest in human behaviour, business or marketing
- Desire to brainstorm ideas creatively and propose data science inspired solutions to business questions
- A love for sharing knowledge, teaching, learning and collaboration
How to apply
If you are passionate about your career in data science and you meet the requirements above, please email your CV with a cover letter (no more than 2 sides of A4) outlining why you would be ideal for the role (Closing date for applications is 12th April 2021).
Please note that because of the high number of applications we typically receive, it is not possible to answer everyone in person, successful candidates will hear from us within 2 weeks of the closing date.
Adecco acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and an employment business for the supply of temporary workers. The Adecco Group UK & Ireland is an Equal Opportunities Employer.
By applying for this role your details will be submitted to Adecco. Our Candidate Privacy Information Statement explains how we will use your information - please copy and paste the following link in to your browser https://www.adecco.co.uk/candidate-privacy