Head of Pupil Services
JOB TITLE: Head of Pupil Services & Admissions
LOCATION: Remote working. Based in Wandsworth when safe to return to the office
START DATE: ASAP
DURATION:3 month initial contract with potential extensions
PAY RATE: Negotiable
IR35 STATUS: Inside
The Pupil Services team encompasses the statutory functions relating to the availability and allocation of school places. The service works with relevant stakeholders - including: senior elected members, headteachers and governing bodies, schools, council officers, diocesan boards of education, parent/carer and resident's groups, etc. - to ensure a sufficiency of school places and obtain agreement on the best options for school expansion and new school proposals as appropriate, and to ensure that school places are allocated fairly and correctly, in accordance with legislation, the statutory School Admissions Code and the requirements of the pan-London coordinated admissions schemes.
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
- T be accountable to the Assistant Direct of Children's Services responsible for the delivery of all procedures and statutory requirements associated with school admissions, exclusions and home to school travel.
- To interpret all relevant legislation and statutory guidance in relation to admissions.
- To set the vision and direction for the service, determining annual priorities and targets and ensuring that effective systems are in place to evaluate performance.
- Monitor and control budgets and provide continuous service review and improvements.
- To provide strategic and operational leadership of the Pupil Services team, including the management and performance of staff:
- 1x Deputy Pupil Services Manager
- 2x Principal Officers
- 5x Administrative Officers
- To ensure that the admission arrangements of the Council and the 30+ governing bodies of schools which are their own admission authority comply with the DfE School Admissions Code; challenging other authorities to address issues of non compliance.
- To provide wide ranging, multi faceted advice and support to parents, headteachers, school governors, and councillors on all aspects of admission procedures.
- Monitor annual admission data - identify patterns and trends and provide evidence based advice.
- Establish and ensure effective operation of schemes for the annual coordination of primary and secondary admissions, ensuring that procedures and timetables operated by the council and the 60+ maintained schools comply with local and pan London arrangements and that all resident children are placed at the start of September.
- Promote public awareness and good public relations to an annual audience of parents and children.
- Determine and draft the structure and content of committee papers.
- Arrange for annual testing of approximately 3,00 Year 6 pupils.
Qualifications, Experience & Knowledge:
- Ideally educated to a Degree level
- Significant previous experience in school admissions service in a local authority
- Excellent knowledge of all relevant legislation relation to school admissions and exclusions
- Secure knowledge of current national policy developments in the broader field of education, schools and children's services.
- Proven ability to form and sustain partnership working with schools, professionals across council departments, and officers of other local authorities
- An established track record of leadership and professional credibility
Adecco acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and an employment business for the supply of temporary workers. The Adecco Group UK & Ireland is an Equal Opportunities Employer.
By applying for this role your details will be submitted to Adecco. Our Candidate Privacy Information Statement explains how we will use your information - please copy and paste the following link in to your browser https://www.adecco.co.uk/candidate-privacy