· Ensure evidenced compliance with all legislative, regulatory, policy, process, procedures and governance guidance requirements of PHSO.
· Ensure compliance with systems of internal control including schedule of delegations, standing orders and terms of reference, ensuring these are documented and understood by senior managers.
· Assist the Head of Governance to manage the governance working relationships with the Ombudsman, Committee chairs, Chief Executive, Board Members, Executive Team and auditors to provide a high quality secretariat service, including forward plans, agendas, documents, minutes, matters arising and chair's actions.
· Manage information flows and develop a corporate calendar of business for each group that reflects terms of reference, business plan priorities and agreed timeframes. Maintain a record of members of each group ensuring meeting invitations are issued appropriately.
· Maintain a secure document management system for official documents and records. Respond to requests for information appropriately, as required.
· Record declarations of interest, payments, expenses and gifts and hospitality in respect of PHSO Board and Executive Team members.
· Identify issues of potential conflict of interest and how they might be managed.
· Identify governance risks of assurance, compliance, accountability and transparency and develop strategies for managing them.
· Implement and maintain the Governance Framework and a full suite of governance documents that support continuous improvement.
· Undertake board support administration including board member appointments, role descriptions, induction, development, code of conduct, evaluation and succession planning.
· Attend relevant meetings and be responsible for the preparation, distribution and approval of high quality reliable minutes and proactively follow up action logs in accordance with agreed timescales.
· Proactively develop and maintain the governance section of the PHSO website.
· Communicate timely updates to Board members and the executive on developments in governance practice.
· To support and engage with change in own area and within wider PHSO.
· To participate in learning & development activity and professional development as required in relation to the role.
· To contribute to an environment of continuous improvement and excellence.
· To provide excellent customer service to all internal and external stakeholders.
· To take decisions in accordance with the role's delegated authority under the casework and/or non-casework delegation schemes.
· To ensure all legislative, regulatory, policy, process, procedures and guidance requirements of PHSO are adhered to and appropriately evidenced to the role's line manager.
· To promote and support the PHSO's vision and values.
· To complete any other duties commensurate with the role.
- ICSA qualified or part-qualified; educated to Degree-level or equivalent relevant professional experience.
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of the role of boards and good governance in public sector organisations.
- An awareness of public administration (central government in particular) and the context in which it operates - ideal but not essential.
Adecco acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and an employment business for the supply of temporary workers. The Adecco Group UK & Ireland is an Equal Opportunities Employer.
By applying for this role your details will be submitted to Adecco. Our Candidate Privacy Information Statement explains how we will use your information - please copy and paste the following link in to your browser https://www.adecco.co.uk/candidate-privacy