· Ensure evidenced compliance with all legislative, regulatory, policy, process, procedures and governance guidance requirements of PHSO.
· Ensure compliance with systems of internal control including schedule of delegations, standing orders and terms of reference, ensuring these are documented and understood by senior managers.
· Assist the Head of Governance to manage the governance working relationships with the Ombudsman, Committee chairs, Chief Executive, Board Members, Executive Team and auditors to provide a high quality secretariat service, including forward plans, agendas, documents, minutes, matters arising and chair's actions.
· Manage information flows and develop a corporate calendar of business for each group that reflects terms of reference, business plan priorities and agreed timeframes. Maintain a record of members of each group ensuring meeting invitations are issued appropriately.
· Maintain a secure document management system for official documents and records. Respond to requests for information appropriately, as required.
· Record declarations of interest, payments, expenses and gifts and hospitality in respect of PHSO Board and Executive Team members.
· Identify issues of potential conflict of interest and how they might be managed.
· Identify governance risks of assurance, compliance, accountability and transparency and develop strategies for managing them.
· Implement and maintain the Governance Framework and a full suite of governance documents that support continuous improvement.
· Undertake board support administration including board member appointments, role descriptions, induction, development, code of conduct, evaluation and succession planning.
· Attend relevant meetings and be responsible for the preparation, distribution and approval of high quality reliable minutes and proactively follow up action logs in accordance with agreed timescales.
· Proactively develop and maintain the governance section of the PHSO website.
· Communicate timely updates to Board members and the executive on developments in governance practice.
· To support and engage with change in own area and within wider PHSO.
· To participate in learning & development activity and professional development as required in relation to the role.
· To contribute to an environment of continuous improvement and excellence.
· To provide excellent customer service to all internal and external stakeholders.
· To take decisions in accordance with the role's delegated authority under the casework and/or non-casework delegation schemes.
· To ensure all legislative, regulatory, policy, process, procedures and guidance requirements of PHSO are adhered to and appropriately evidenced to the role's line manager.
· To promote and support the PHSO's vision and values.
· To complete any other duties commensurate with the role.
- ICSA qualified or part-qualified; educated to Degree-level or equivalent relevant professional experience.
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of the role of boards and good governance in public sector organisations.
- An awareness of public administration (central government in particular) and the context in which it operates - ideal but not essential.
Adecco acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and an employment business for the supply of temporary workers. The Adecco Group UK & Ireland is an Equal Opportunities Employer.
By applying for this role your details will be submitted to Adecco. Our Candidate Privacy Information Statement explains how we will use your information - please copy and paste the following link in to your browser https://www.adecco.co.uk/candidate-privacy
Apply for Governance Officer
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly
* This is information that gets special protection under our privacy laws. It is information about your race or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, trade union membership, health, genetic or biometric details, sex life and details of any criminal convictions or similar you may be subject to.
♦ The business of the Adecco Group UK & Ireland is transacted via a number of differently branded trading entities, as follows: Adecco UK Limited, Adia Technology Limited, Modis International Limited, Badenoch and Clark Limited, Ajilon (UK) Limited, Office Angels Limited, Penna plc, Pontoon Europe Limited, Roevin Management Services Limited, Spring Technology Staffing Services Limited.