Community Adviser -Bengali Speaking
The Office for National Statistics (ONS) requires a Community Adviser.
Location: Tower Hamlets & Hackney
Part time - 25 hours per week
This is a fantastic opportunity to help your area count for the 2021 Census! Your engagement and outreach work will aim to maximise participation. The ONS are responsible for running the census and planning is well underway! In 2019, ONS will hold a rehearsal to test all the processes, systems and services. For this position, you will not only be able to take part in a project of national and local importance but also receive training and the opportunity to apply for future projects.
The ONS are seeking a skilled Community Adviser. To be considered for this exciting opportunity you must be able to speak Bengali (Sylheti highly desirable) alongside English, to a standard sufficient to confidently discuss the census in every-day terms.
The role of a Community Adviser:
- Representing the Census Rehearsal in the community. Your main aim will be to ensure the maximum number of people from the Bangladeshi community complete their census questionnaire.
- Engaging with the Bangladeshi community who may face practical or motivational barriers to taking part in the Rehearsal.
- Implementing a local community plan, which will involve explaining the census and communicating its value through outreach activities.
- Presenting to community groups about the Census rehearsal and running completion events
- Act as local media census spokesperson when appropriate.
To succeed as a Community Adviser, you’ll need to enjoy working alongside people with different cultural experiences and perspectives. You will work to understand the Bangladeshi community, listen to any concerns, give information and explain the purpose of the census. With your experience of outreach and community engagement, you’ll be required to build strong networks of contacts (including individuals and community groups).
Skills and experience
- Excellent organisational skills and the ability to prioritise to achieve deadlines
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including delivering presentations, with experience of dealing with people at all levels with strong influencing / negotiating skills
- Able to speak Bengali to a standard sufficient to confidently discuss the census in every-day terms in that language (The ability to speak Sylheti is highly desirable too)
- Experience of working with the community (ideally with members of the Bangladeshi community). This may be in a paid or voluntary capacity for example, running activities or events within the community
- IT skills including experience of using a variety of software and use of mobile device (tablet or smartphone)
Apply for Community Adviser -Bengali Speaking
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly
* This is information that gets special protection under our privacy laws. It is information about your race or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, trade union membership, health, genetic or biometric details, sex life and details of any criminal convictions or similar you may be subject to.
♦ The business of the Adecco Group UK & Ireland is transacted via a number of differently branded trading entities, as follows: Adecco UK Limited, Adia Technology Limited, Modis International Limited, Badenoch and Clark Limited, Ajilon (UK) Limited, Office Angels Limited, Penna plc, Pontoon Europe Limited, Roevin Management Services Limited, Spring Technology Staffing Services Limited.