How do you shine at interview
How do you shine at interview and demonstrate you’re the right person for the job?
Here are ten things to help you to interview and job success:
- Know your CV inside and out and make sure you can talk about your previous roles, skills and experience.
- Do some background research into the company, its business and, if possible, your interviewer. Use LinkedIn as a good starting point.
- Think about where you can add value. Use STAR (situation, task, action, result) to illustrate your achievements and their relevance to the role.
- Be prepared to answer competency based questions such as “can you give me an example of when you’ve made a mistake and what you did about it?”.
- Make sure you have a list of questions to ask at the end. Not only is this is a big opportunity to show you’re really interested, you can find out what it’s really like to work there.
- Expect the unexpected – some interviewers like to catch you off-guard. Treat whatever is thrown at you as a challenge, think through your answers and don’t be afraid to ask questions for clarification.
- Remember that first impressions count. Dress appropriately for the organisation you’re going to see. Look confident ad enthusiastic and use eye contact to build rapport.
- Keep your language appropriate. Use your research to understand what the organisation is like and listen to the language your interviewer uses. Avoid jargon and slang.
- Practice makes perfect – rehearse your answers to common questions and how you’ll explain your previous roles. Knowing what you’re going to say will help you appear more confident, concise and assured.
- Get the basics right – make sure you know exactly where you’re going, how long it will take you to get there and make sure you have a contact number in case you’re delayed.
Download our guide to Ensuring interview success for more help in preparing for that all-important meeting.