Senior Design Cable Engineer
High-end technology, market leading business, great salary and benefits in Dorset.
The candidate will be responsible for a broad range of different cable types:
* Dynamic strain cables, used to tow and deploy a variety of sensors and payloads from submarines and surface ships
* Seabed and buoyed cable systems
* Ancillary power and data transmission cables used in conjunction with our towed and other systems;
* Cable terminations, connectors, glands and penetrations
* Fibre-optic dispensing systems
As an already experienced cable engineer, with a broad understanding of the design and production of cable and terminations, the successful candidate will have a proven record of working within a team of mechanical, electrical, electronic and optical engineers to successfully develop a broad range of cable products. This experience should extend to the design; the initial manufacture, test and acceptance of new cable systems and to the subsequent full scale production of these systems.
The candidate will develop systems from initial concept through to customer acceptance, ensuring that functional and non-functional system requirements and technical specifications are fully satisfied and delivering in accordance with work package agreement budgets and timescales.
* Leading technical development and technically supporting bids for new systems containing cable products
* Working with System Design Authorities and Engineering Managers to develop solutions for our customers
* Leading innovation, in our development of new products and the enabling cable systems technologies and processes
* Working with other cable manufacturers to understand their production capabilities and limitations to enable our cable designs to be reliably and cost effectively produced
* Generating technical procurement specifications and working with suppliers
* Ensuring test and acceptance arrangements are appropriate
* Providing design specifications and supporting documentation at an appropriate level for each project
* Maintaining cable design documentation; applying effective change management and configuration control
Knowledge, skills and personal qualities desired
* Qualified to degree level or equivalent
* Knowledge and understanding of the practices of systems engineering and good design management
* Demonstrated ability to interpret user and system requirements, generate cost effective cable system concepts, designs and acceptance approaches; developing, producing and testing cable designs
* Experience of working within a multi-disciplined cable design environment
* Familiarity and experience of working with cable design toolsets and guides
* Knowledge of CAD and tools; e.g. Solid Edge
* Experience of having worked with UK MOD Defence Standards and other industry standards;
* Through-life maintenance of cable designs, updating designs to manage obsolescence, changes of operational use and/or remedy of issues
* Discussing and solving problems with procurement and production departments, sub-contractors, suppliers and customers
* Meeting challenging timescales and the demands of multiple concurrent projects
* Working within multi-disciplined teams
* Undertaking designs of complex cable systems suitable for marine above and underwater environment
* Meeting stringent technical specifications and requirements at the cutting edge of cable technology
* Providing accurate and compelling justification for selected design approaches
* Undertaking analysis of designs provided and recommend design changes where appropriate
The successful candidate must be able to achieve full SC (Security Clearance).
This is a fantastic opportunity to become part of one of the most forward thinking companies in the UK and to further develop your own skills and capabilities.
If you believe that the prior details are relevant to your recent work experience then please do not hesitate to apply to this advert with your up to date CV. Alternatively, you can submit your CV to steven(dot)mitchell(at)modis(dot)co(dot)uk